Tuesday

Spirituality and Workouts ...


This morning, I got up, took my shower, and pulled out the scale.  I have been working out diligently and perfectly mostly eating very well, so that must show up on my little blue digital number.  It has to reflect all of the H2O Circuit classes, the elliptical workouts, the smaller portions, and the focus I have had.  It might even shock me how much it has changed, because I know I feel different.  I am stronger, I feel better, I think my tummy is shrinking... it is going to be great I can just see it!  I am already (in my mind) calling down the stairs to Hubby so he can come jump up and down with me.  Wait ... what? THE SAME? HOW?!  I have been working so hard!! This is insane.  No way.  Off the scale, back on. Still the same.  

I sulk into the other room, start drying my hair, and it occurs to me that perhaps I need to take a step back.  Instead of celebrating all that I have done, I let one thing change my whole mood.  I was building myself up on the accomplishments of my new living plan, and one thing came along to snatch the joy right out of my heart.

In our spiritual lives, it is the same story.  Personally, through the story of someone we love, or through our understanding of an injustice in the world we encounter pain and respond by similar actions to working out and eating right.  We commit to a devotional, we go to church when the doors are open, we might connect with a small group, do a Bible study, read a good spiritually reflective book ... and we do so diligently.  We listen to encouraging music, have coffee with good friends, and try to simply be kinder.  And then, there is always a point where we kind of look up, and say, "Hey, Big Guy, you see all this, right?  How about lightening this painful load a little ... I am working hard here, don't you see it?"

Just as we did not physically get to the place we are in overnight, we are not going to change it over night.  The same can be said for the spiritual and emotional aspects of our being; we did not become wide open hearts or sealed shut overnight... it takes time.

So I personally am committing to stick to the path on both accounts.  I am not going to change my body after a month of effort, and I am not going to be relieved of my suffering on that timeline either.  However, one day I am going to wake up and say I really DO look different!  One day I am going to say to myself wow, I see life in a much more beautiful light.  Until those days, I have to recognize that day by day and moment by moment I am dragging my body to the gym and my soul to the best doctor around and one day I will see the results.  But no good will come from constant measurement and compassion to where I think I should be on either journey.

What feels this way in your life?  What can you commit to take day by day and stop measuring?

No comments:

Post a Comment